SUGAR TOUR 2014
|Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz
||Santa Cruz Mtb Fest – Aptos, CA
||Dirt Jumping & Pump Track
|Sugar Showdown Burlington
||Indoor Dirt Jumping & Pump Track
|Sugar Showdown Seattle
||Duthie Hill Park, Issaquah, WA
WHAT IT IS
Sugar Showdown is a women’s ridestyle event with one day of coaching and one day of competition. Definition of ridestyle: we’re combining slopestyle with freeride, dirt jumping, and park with judging based on form and style for amateurs and the addition of tricks for the pro categories.
Sweetlines brings in the top pro competitors and certified coaches from around North America, to mentor and train other women, building confidence and skills.
A key component of our success is our ability to reach a global community via social media, word of mouth and use of online videos to capture the essence of what we do.
SISTERHOOD OF SHRED – Documentary
In 2014 we will be producing a feature length documentary highlighting the Sisterhood of Shred, our coaches, riders and supporters. Our focus will be on how our community helps us push personal limits, supports us emotionally, and continually motivates us in our daily lives.
- Diamondback Bikes
- Deity Components
- VP Components
- Five Ten
- Dirty Jane
- My Alibi Clothing
- Ryders Eyewear
- All Sport Dynamics
- Shine Riders Co
- Gregg’s Cycles
- Woodinville Bicycle
SUGAR SHOWDOWN BURLINGTON – May 9-10
Come check out the new indoor bike park! We will be coaching Friday and competing Saturday morning.
Friday’s class will have intermediate and advanced groups focused on pumping and jumping. Advanced jumpers will go with Tammy and work on pumping, dirt jumping, style, and tricks. Intermediate jumpers will go with Kat and Angi and be focused on pumping, jumping, form and hitting bigger dirt jumps. Class participants will also be able to ride for free for all of Friday.
Saturday’s comp will be jump jam format with Amateur and Pro categories. AM’s will compete on the pump track line and Pros will compete on the right line or whichever line they are comfortable riding. There will be ton’s of prizes thanks to our amazing sponsors!
This event is not recommended for new jumpers. Participants must have some previous jumping experience already.
- Class – Friday, May 9, 9am-12pm
- Comp – Saturday, May 10, 10am-11am
- $125 Class (includes an all day pass, valued at $18)
- $30 Comp (includes all day pass, valued at $25)
How: Registration Link
Location: Burlington Bike Park Link
Housing: Hampton Inn Link
Coaches: Tammy Donahugh, Kat Sweet, Angi Weston
Assistant Coaches: Meg Valliant, Lisa Mason, Lauren Heitzman
- 8:30am – Registration / Bike Checks
- 9am-12pm – Classes
- 8:30am – Registration
- 9am-10am – Practice
- 10am-10:20am – AM Comp
- 10:30am-11am – Pro Comp
SUGAR SHOWDOWN SEATTLE – July 5-6
Details coming soon!
- Santa Cruz & Burlington -
- Bike: hardtail, dirt jumper style bike or bmx bike works the best for dirt jumping and indoor riding
- Tires: low rolling resistance with less knobs are better (ie: Kenda Small Block 8’s, Maxxis Holly Rollers, etc)
- Air: run extra air, recommended 50-60lbs
- Bike: Freeride works the best, dirt jumpers or all mountain bikes are good too
- Pedals: mandatory flat pedals and Five Ten or skate style shoes (limited pedals will be available for demo)
- Protective Gear: mandatory knee and elbow pads (limited protective gear will be available to demo)
- Helmets: full face helmets are strongly recommended
SUGAR SHOWDOWN AUDIENCE
Our primary audience is women and girls ages 10-50. The majority of our participants are women 30-45 years old. We have a Sugar Cubes category for the 10-16 year olds and a Masterettes category for 45+! Our global reach includes not only women but also men; fathers, husbands, boyfriends, and friends, mountain bikers and non riders who are inspired by what we do.
Want to be part of the event but you don’t want to ride? We would love your help!
- Medic or EMT
- Sweetlines booth
- Video – to use for video analysis
MEET YOUR COACHES!
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 20
- Years Coaching: 7
- Certifications: ICP Level 3
- Comp Results:
- 2013 Sugar Showdown SC – 2nd
- 2013 Sugar Showdown WA – 1st
- 2013 Dixie Trix – 1st
- Favorite Trails: Too many to list! I love trails that incorporate different feelings into the ride – fast & flowy, techy, jumpy, and some skidding for good measure!
- Favorite Tricks: I love watching people who can throw big turndowns, nac whips, and one footed euro tables. I would be stoked if I could get close to pulling off any of those!
- Favorite Quote: ”If everyone could learn that what is right for me does not make it right for anyone else, the world would be a much happier place”. William Glasser, M.D.
- Role Model and Why? Any person who is doing what they love, living life to the fullest, and giving back at times
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 20 yrs (15 flailing 5 with skill)
- Years Coaching: 6 yrs
- Certifications: ICP level 1 & 2
- Comp Results: For this year? Mostly last but first in my own world. Comparing year to year I always am able to see a huge progression in my riding and jumping. And I got 3rd at the Little Big Ridestyle Event, 2013.
- Favorite Trails: Dirt Jumps! Dirt Merchant! Martis DH, Tahoe XC- Mt Rose to Chimney, Hole in the ground, Glass Mtn
- Favorite Tricks: turning a dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill?
- Favorite Quote: he who rests rusts
- Theme Song: Can’t say a song in particular, but favorite thing to do is sing out-loud, belt it out, while on trail so everyone gets the song stuck in their head for the theme song of the day! HA Example…. give me some Aiyrrrre, like ya just don’t caiyrrrree
- Role Model and Why? There again,I can’t pin point anyone in particular. I pick something out of everyone.Something maybe to look up to, sometimes to respect and always to learn. The role models are always changing, revolving, and growing with those around me. Thanks to all the beautiful people in my life! Look forward to those who are still to come.
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 11 years
- Years Coaching: 8 years
- Certifications: ICP Coach
- Comp Results: #1 in fun!
- Favorite Trails: Steep, loamy, and techy
- Favorite Tricks: bar hump look back or the announcer air (that’s when I jump over the announcer)
- Favorite Quote: “It’s not life that matters, it’s the courage that we bring to it”
- Theme Song: Doing it Right by Daft Punk
- Role Model and Why? Rae Gandolf because she lives out her passions to the fullest, she is brave, beautiful, brilliant, and blistering fast on a bike!
- Kat Sweet because she has a genuine and authentic approach to all things in life, especially teaching. She reminds us how to have fun and that you are only as old as you allow yourself to be!
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 14
- Years Coaching: less than 1 yr
- Certifications: ICP
- Comp Results:
- 3rd AM, Sugar Showdown Lumberyard
- 6th Pro, Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz
- 1st Semi-Pro, Sugar Showdown Duthie Hill
- 9th Pro, Dixie Trix, Frisco Bike Park
- 5th Pro, The Little Big at Truckee
- 1st Sea otter Slalom ’11
- 3rd 4x Nationals ’06
- Favorite Trails: Fun Dirt jumps, Juaquin Miller park (OAkland)
- Favorite Tricks: (that i do?) Table Top , kick out (that i want to do?) Clicked Table top, turn down, tail whip
- Favorite Quote: oh there are so many..
- “Cru, remember the lumber yard…go balls out.”
- “You’re not dying you just dont have anything better to do”,
- “Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature, An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;”
- Theme Song: always a toss up between The Fall Guy, the Munsters, and the Ateam however i always have the Rad soundtrack on my ipod
- Role Model and Why? so many…
- Gene Roddenberry- He took his dreams to the masses and inspired generation after generation.
- Athletes that make an impact in there sport by pushing the next generation to new limits.. Hoffman, Hawk, Mullin, Mccoy, Rooftop, Peralta, Joelene
- Phil Segura – takes Hustle to all new highs! Passionate about his dreams. too many more role models to write…
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 10 years
- Years Coaching: 2 years coaching MTB grew up running BMX clinics
- Certifications: soon to be ICP certified by IMBA
- Comp Results: Don’t keep track of that stuff, but probably fairly good
- Favorite Trails: Duthie is rad
- Favorite Tricks: love my lazy one handers
- Favorite Quote: ”if you aint first your last” – Ricky Bobby
- Theme Song: Bad Habit -Offspring
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 8 years
- Years Coaching: 4 years
- Certifications: IDP gravity/freeride instructor
- Comp Results:
- 7th Dixie Trix – Pro
- 4th Little Big Ridestyle – Pro
- Favorite Trails: Burlington Indoor, Duthie Hill MTB Park
- Favorite Tricks: back flips and Indian Airs – I’m working on both, but I still need a lot of practice
- Favorite Quote: “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Bill Gates, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” - Unknown
- Theme song: I lived, One republic
- Role model: My good friend Theron Tate. He is not only an awesome rider, but an awesome friend as well. He works passionately toward his goals and never gives up. Always smiling, he has a fantastic outlook on life and shares that positive energy with everyone he meets. He inspires me to work hard towards my goals and be grateful for everything that I have. His focus and determination are a force that stays with me and challenges me to be the best me that I can be.