KAT SWEET’S BIO
There’s nothing quite like the rush of sticking a new jump for the first time, or of cleaning a gnarly section of trail that’s been challenging you, and no one knows that better than Kat Sweet. A former professional downhill mountain bike racer and X-Games ski competitor, Sweet has a passion for introducing this exhilarating experience to everyone.
A certified IMBA ICP coach and creator of the mountain bike program, Sweetlines, she recognizes the importance of using camaraderie to build courage in her programs and push riders to the next level.
“I started Sweetlines to inspire and empower Riders to learn about life through mountain biking. Ride Like You Can.”
– Kat Sweet
Sweet produces events that mesh coaching with competition—such as the Sugar Showdown—and spends countless hours building and restoring mountain bike trails. She produced and starred in the movie “If She Can Do It,” was a guest rider in the movie Pedal Driven, and has been featured in numerous articles in Bike Magazine, Decline, Freehub, Wide Open Mag UK, ESPN Brazil, Momentum, NW Cyclist and Dirt Rag.
If you ever want to improve your dirt shredding skills or simply have fun riding trails, Sweet will gladly show you the way.
EMPLOYMENT AND EXPERIENCE
Mountain Bike Coach: 2007~present
- Specializing in kids and women’s programs
- Producing Sugar Showdown events since 2012
- Freelance Coach: Dixie Trix, Rebecca Rusch Tour, Dirt Series, and See Jane Jump
- Coaching in New Zealand and all over North America
- Deity Components
- Fox Suspension
- Five Ten
- Clif Bar
- Michelin Tires
- AllSport Dymanics
- Race Fuel Z
- Jme at Vain Hair Salon, Seattle
Youth Program Manager, Cascade Bicycle Club Education Foundation: 2005~2013
- Managing a bike safety program working with 200 physical education teachers and reaching 12,000 children annually.
- Managing events, summer camps, and after school programs.
- Conference speaker: The League of American Bicyclists, 2007 & 2010; International Mountain Bike Alliance, 2008; Pro Walk/Pro Bike, 2008; School assemblies.
- Managing AmeriCorps staff, ride leaders, coaches, and volunteers.
- Overseeing and maintaining a fleet of 300 bikes, 7 trailers, and riding gear.
Director & Founder, Trips for Kids Seattle: 2002~3013
- Program manager
- Ride leader
- Training and managing ride leaders
- Coordination rides with 30 youth agencies
- Recruiting 150 volunteers
- Serving 250 low income kids annually
- Producing Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day, 2005-2012
- IMBA, Instructor Trainer, 2014
- Level 3 IMIC Certified Coach
- Level 2 IMBA, ICP, 2010
- Endless Biking, Level 1 Coach, 2009
- United Bicycle Institution, Certified Mechanic, 2008
- USA Cycling Coach, 2007
- League of American Bicyclists Certified Instructor, 2007
- Pro Ridestyle Competitor, 2012-present
- Cat 1 Downhill Mountain Bike Racer (former Pro)
- Sea Otter, 1st Place, Dual Slalom, 2015
- NW Cup Champion, 2010 & 2011
- Crankworx Giant Slalom Gold Medalist, 2010 & 2011
- X-Games, 1999 & 2000
- Gravity Games, 2000
- Over 20 years of mountain bike experience, competing at the local, state, and national level; training fitness, strength, and technical skills while pushing mental and physical limits.
- Professional Mountain Bike Racer & Ski Competitor, 1990’s
- Expert National Downhill Champion, 1998
- TaeKwonDo: 2nd Red Belt, 2009
Movies & Videos
Movie: Pedal Driven, guest rider, 2011
Movie: “The Sisterhood of Shred” – premiers 2015
Movie: “If She Can Do It” 2012 – over 650,000 views (producer)
Rob’s Dirty Business, 11/07/13 – cameo with Kat, Katie and Kaytlin
Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz Movie:
Sugar Showdown Seattle Vids // Pinkbike
Interviews & Articles
Santa Cruz Sentinel, April 3, 2014
Hilltromper, March 2014, Sugar Showdown Article
Hilltromper, April 2014, Sugar Showdown follow up article
WTB Blog Interview, January 2014
ESPN Brazil Blog Interview, November 22, 2013
WideOpenMag UK – Issue, 21 p. 68-69, October, 2013
Northwest Hospital, October 2013
Diamondback Team Intro, September 2013
Outdoors NW Article, Spring 2013
Vital MTB Shot of the Day (nominated for the finals), January 8, 2014
Spain, TrickOn.com – Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz Article
Dirt Rag, Sugar Showdown Coverage
- Decline Magazine, photo and mention, March 2011
- Filmed for Pedal Driven documentary bike movie, 2011
- Momentum Magazine, photo and interview, August 2010
- Bike Magazine, photo and interview, July 2010