Sugar Showdown – June 29 – July 1, 2018
Are you shreddy to get steezy? Do you want to step it up? Feeling like there’s a big gap in your riding? Wanna hang but not enough time? We have the answers…knowledge, practice, and confidence! Sugar Showdown will focus on fundamentals and advancing progression so any level rider will improve Ridestyle skills. It’s a women’s weekend workshop to hone proper techniques with classes all Saturday and competition Sunday.
Riding is complicated! Knowing and understanding your personal riding level helps keep you safe, smart and aware while on the dirt. Let’s work together to improve jump and drop skills in order to hit trails with knowledge, skill, confidence, and calmness. It’s what we call ADRENALINE ZEN! Join us and be part of this sisterhood that is the Sugar Showdown. Open to women and anyone who identifies as female.
$1000 Pro Purse!
Dates: Friday, June 29 – Sunday, July 1
Where: Duthie Hill Park, Issaquah, WA
Friday, June 29:
5pm – 6pm – Crash Course (IN THE CLEARING INSIDE THE PARK)
6pm – 8pm – ChixFlix Meet & Greet
6pm – Bike Checks
Saturday, June 30
8am – 4pm – Classes
Sunday, July 1
8am – 4pm – Comp
- Class & Comp
- $199 – Early Bird Pricing
- $209 – May 20
- $219 – June 20
- Class Only
- $149 – Sugar Basics Early Bird Pricing- beginner skills class
- $150 – May 20
- $169 – June 20
- Family discount – ($15 off each, use the code SugarFam18)
- Sweet Peas (ages 6-8)
- $149 Early Bird
- $159 – May 20
- Sweet Peas Jump Jam – FREE
- Comp Only – $25
- Includes: lunch Saturday and Sunday
- Registration closes June 28 at 10pm
- For the Novice and Amateur classes, participants must have been riding mountain bikes for a minimum of 1 year and be ready to jump and drop (new to jumping is good but no new riders please).
- Beginner riders are welcome in the Sugar Basics class only.
SAS – Sisters in Action Sports
HOT PINK LEVEL
Iron Horse Brewery
Stevens Pass Bike Park
Secret Aardvark – hot sauce!
FRIDAY: CRASH COURSE / CHIXFLIX MEET & GREET
- 5pm-6pm – Crash Course
- 6pm-8pm – ChixFlix Meet & Greet
- 6pm-7pm – Bike Checks
- 2pm-4pm – Pro Ride Session
Meet inside the park to get bikes checked over and watch a movie! You will have to ride into the park, it’s a 20-minute walk.
- 8am – Registration
- 8:30am – Intros
- Groups will be split up based on ability and whether students have been to one of our programs before or not. New students will spend more time on form in the beginning. Returning students will do a form refresher then move on to freeride skills. Students are automatically entered in the comp but don’t have to participate unless they want to.
- Sugar Basics is from 10am-4pm. This is a skills class for new mountain bikers! They will not be jumping or competing, simply adding to their arsenal of mountain bike shred skills! Sills will include: wheel lifts, cornering, roll downs, body position and trail riding skills.
- Sugar Cubes is for 6-14 year olds all-day Saturday. Girls must have been riding mountain bikes for a minimum of 2 years and be ready to start jumping or push their jumping to the next level and be comfortable riding Voodoo.
- Sweet Peas 6-10 year old class is from 10am-4pm. The girls will practice on the pump track and Luna lines working on skills while having fun! Must be riding 2-wheels and able to stand up on their pedals! Not training wheels. No coaster brakes (back pedal brakes), and must have brakes.
SUNDAY: COMP – Spectators Welcome!
- Novice and Amateur riders will compete on Voodoo Child
- Novice riders are new to jumping
- Amateurs have a bit more jumping experience
- Judging will be based on form and style
- Semi-Pros will compete on Voodoo Child or the top of Flying Squirrel
- This category is for women who have been jumping for a while are almost ready to compete on Flying Squirrel or the top of Squirrel but feel more comfortable on Voodoo
- The Pro category will compete on Flying Squirrel
- This class is for ladies who have been jumping for a long time
- We are doing Jump Jam format with prizes for tricks, form, style, amplitude, etc.
- You will see a lot of turn-bars, x-ups, one footers, no-footers, tam-boggins, whips, kick outs, no-handers, table tops, ET airs, bar humps, combinations, and some surprise moves
- Comp Categories:
- Novice (new to jumping)
- Amateur Sugar Cubes, 6-10
- Amateur Sugar Cubes, 11-14
- Amateur 15-25
- Amateur 26-35
- Amateur 36-45
- Masterettes 46+
- Semi-Pro Sugar Cubes, 9-14
- Special Awards Include:
- Most Improved
- Best Trick (for Pros & Semi-Pros)
- Most Supportive Rider
- Most Creative
- Highest Amplitude
- Mom / Daughter Teams
- Trail Builder Volunteer Hours – (earn Sugar Points for hours of trail work)
Sweet-T’s! $20 advanced sales / $25 at the event (last day to pre-order is June 15)
|2pm-4pm||Pro Ride Session|
|6pm||Meet & Greet|
|7pm-8pm||ChixFlix with Clif Bar|
|10am-4pm||Sweet Peas Class|
|10am||Sugar Daddies Ride|
|2pm||Sugar Daddies Ride|
Squirrel Feedback Stations
|4pm||Cookie Circle & Feedback|
|8am-8:30am||Check In (everyone)|
· Sugar Cubes
· AM 15-25
· AM 26-35
· AM 36-45
· Semi-Pro Cubes
|11:30am-12pm||Sweet Peas Jump Jam on the Luna Line|
|1:30-2:30||Pro/Semi Jump Jam|
|3pm||Voodoo Jump Jam (last 3 jumps)|
Larkspur Landing BellevueYour reservation includes:
- Daily complimentary healthy start breakfast
- Free wired or wireless high-speed internet
- Complimentary 24 hour access to the hotel fitness center
- Spacious guest suites with fully equipped kitchens
- Complimentary laundry facilities
- Access to whirlpool Jacuzzi.
- $101.15 (aprox)
- $25 for a campsite
- $65 for a yurt
- $30 for tents for 2 people / $34 for an RV
- Restrooms with showers
- No wifi
MEET YOUR COACHES!
- Lisa Sher – Boulder, CO
- Stephanie Nychka – Calgary, Canada
- Angi Weston – Bellingham, WA
- Meg Valliant – Seattle, WA
- Lauren Heitzman – Portland, OR
- Cortney Knudson – Lake Tahoe, CA
- Karen O’Connell – Seattle, WA
- Lisa Mason – Whistler, Canada
- Elle Runyan – Seattle, WA
- Sarah Bender – Seattle, WA
- Ash Peters – Wellington, NZ
- Rae Gandolf – Zanesville, OH
- Shanna Powell
- Kat Sweet – Seattle, WA
- From: Calgary, Canada
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 15 years
- Years Coaching: 6 years
- Certifications: IMBA Basic Skills Instructor
- Comp Results: 5 place, 3 rd place
- Favorite Trails: Duthie Hill
- Favorite Tricks: No Hander, Whip, 1 Footed X-up
- Favorite Quote: Veni, Vidi, Vinci: I come, I see, I conquer.
- Name / Nickname: Angi
- Business: Radical Roots Mountain Bike Instruction
- From: Bellingham, WA
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 17
- Years Coaching: 16
- Certifications: BICP Level 3
- Comp Results: I don’t compete much any more but I did start my own business, Radical Roots MTB Instruction, which feels like a huge win to me.
- Favorite Trails: Any PNW steep, techy, loamy trail
- Favorite Tricks: Bar hump!
- Favorite Quote: “Grab life by the handlebars”
- Theme Song: Now or Never / Kendrick Lamar & Mary J Blige
- Role Model and Why?
- Rae Gandolf because she lives out her passions to the fullest, she is brave, beautiful, brilliant, and blistering fast on a bike!
- Kat Sweet because she has a genuine and authentic approach to all things in life, especially teaching. She reminds us how to have fun and that you are only as old as you allow yourself to be!
- From: Seattle, WA
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 17
- Years riding BMX: 32
- Years Coaching: 4
- Certifications: ICP Level 2
- 3rd Pro, Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz ’14
- 1st Semi-Pro, Sugar Showdown Duthie Hill ’13
- 5th Pro, The Little Big at Truckee ’13
- 1st Sea otter Dual Slalom ’11
- # 3 plate , NBL, Cruiser Class 25-30, California ’07
- 3rd 4x Nationals ’06
- Favorite Trails: Flow trails, Duthie hill, Joauquin Miller park, Valmont, Alameda Skatepark
- Favorite Tricks: Jammin Salmon!, Table top, Flow & style
- Favorite Quote: “…those mattresses are only going to cause you to wipeout.”
- Theme Song: I love TV theme songs, The Fall Guy, the Munsters, Ateam, greatest american hero, etc. I always have the Rad soundtrack on my ipod
- Role Model and Why? How can you pick just one? each brings a new piece to the puzzle on the path that makes me who i am.
Lauren Heitzman Patterson
- From: CO but living in Seattle, WA now!
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 9 years
- Years Coaching: 5 years
- Certifications: IDP gravity/freeride instructor
- Comp Results:
- 1st Sugar Showdown 2016
- 7th Dixie Trix – Pro
- 4th Little Big Ridestyle – Pro
- Favorite Trails: Burlington Indoor, Duthie Hill MTB Park
- Favorite Tricks: back flips and Indian Airs – I’m working on both, but I still need a lot of practice
- Favorite Quote: “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Bill Gates, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” – Unknown
- Theme song: I lived, One republic
- Role model: My good friend Theron Tate. He is not only an awesome rider, but an awesome friend as well. He works passionately toward his goals and never gives up. Always smiling, he has a fantastic outlook on life and shares that positive energy with everyone he meets. He inspires me to work hard towards my goals and be grateful for everything that I have. His focus and determination are a force that stays with me and challenges me to be the best me that I can be.
- From: Tahoe City, CA
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 20 yrs (15 flailing 5 with skill)
- Years Coaching: 8 yrs
- Certifications: ICP level 1 & 2
- Comp Results: For this year? Mostly last but first in my own world. Comparing year to year I always am able to see a huge progression in my riding and jumping. And I got 3rd at the Little Big Ridestyle Event, 2013.
- Favorite Trails: Dirt Jumps! Dirt Merchant! Martis DH, Tahoe XC- Mt Rose to Chimney, Hole in the ground, Glass Mtn
- Favorite Tricks: turning a dollar bill into a hundred dollar bill?
- Favorite Quote: he who rests rusts
- Theme Song: Can’t say a song in particular, but favorite thing to do is sing out-loud, belt it out, while on trail so everyone gets the song stuck in their head for the theme song of the day! HA Example…. give me some Aiyrrrre, like ya just don’t caiyrrrree
- Role Model and Why? There again,I can’t pin point anyone in particular. I pick something out of everyone.Something maybe to look up to, sometimes to respect and always to learn. The role models are always changing, revolving, and growing with those around me. Thanks to all the beautiful people in my life! Look forward to those who are still to come.
- Lisa gets fired up helping people learn new skills and progress, so they can shred and have fun on the trails! Her background includes 11 years of racing mountain bikes professionally on the World Cup and National Series circuits and 10 years on the U.S. National Team.
- Lisa has shared her sport-specific knowledge and healthy approach with developing athletes in her work as a youth ice hockey coach and as a BICP Level 3-certified mountain bike coach and instructor trainer, where she aims to set the global standard for mountain bike instruction.
- Widespread experience leading design teams in global brand strategy and product development enables her to provide creative direction, content, and marketing expertise through her design shop, Fluxx Collective. Lisa also designed the Sweetlines Jr logo and the Sugar Showdown logo.
- Currently she lives in Gunbarrel, CO where she loves riding trails, skiing, surfing, adventuring, and working on her two-wheel drifts.
- High school math teacher
- Teacher trainer
- Pro downhill mountain bike racer
- Raffle fanatic
- Nickname: Drop Boss
- Biggest Drop Hit: Girthmore Drop at Beacon Hill in Spokane (17′ tall)
- Nickname: Elle
- Years Riding Mountain Bikes: 9
- Years Coaching: 1 / Assistant Coaching: 3
- Teaching Experience: I have been teaching at the preschool and LRC2 (special education) class at my high school for 2 years. I also have taken a year of teaching academy and interned at the Beaver Lake Middle School physical science class for a semester.
- Favorite Part of Teaching: I love everything about teaching! My favorite part is seeing students succeed at something they were struggling at or scared to do before (with a little nudge from me and watching how proud and happy they are afterward. Wether it is nailing a bike jump, solving a math problem, or putting a puzzle together, those smiles are what I live for.
- Comp Results: 1st in state varsity girls cross country, national qualifier. Gold in regionals and state at the FCCLA (family career and community leaders of America) leadership competition.
- Favorite Trails: Brave heart (Duthie), Off the Grid (Tiger), Predator (Tiger), and Palisades.
- Favorite Quote: “A simple act of kindness creates an endless ripple”
- Role Model: Kat Sweet! She has overcame great adversity and does not let anything stop her from changing the world! I am going to make a huge difference someday too, and bikes are the best way to do just that!
- I am excited to see you all on the trails this summer!