Coach Morris’s Protest Ride Speech, “As a Young Black Man.”
Coach Morris shared what it’s like growing up as a black man in America. We are so glad Coach Morris is part of our community and the Sweetlines family!
CALL TO ACTION: LEARN/GIVE/GROW
Let’s learn about…
- Black history in America
- African history before America
- How to talk about racism
- “So You Want to Talk About Race” – Ijeoma Oluo
- “White Fragility” – Robin DiAngelo
- “How to be an Anti-Racist” – Ibram X. Kendi
- “Resist” – Veronica Chambers
- “Not My Idea” – Anastasia Higginbotham
Videos for Kids
GIVE: Time / $$ / Gear
Give time and volunteer, donate money, and/or gear and used bikes.
Here are some local Seattle organizations already doing great work:
- Bike Works – https://bikeworks.org/
- Major Taylor Project – https://www.cascade.org/learn/major-taylor-project
- King County Play Equity Coalition – https://kcplayequity.org/
- Evergreen MTB Alliance – http://evergreenmtb.org
- Seattle Girls School Resource Links – https://sites.google.com/a/sgs-wa.org/sgsprofessionaloutreach/seattle-girls-school-talking-to-kids-about-race
GROW: Let’s continue to grow a diverse and inclusive MTB community!
What Sweetlines is Doing:
- Committing to donating 3 scholarships for camps for kids of color for 2021
- Ride Bicycles is donating 3 demo bikes to use that week
- Creating a Youth Equity Coalition
- Promoting paved pump tracks in diverse neighborhoods
- Continuing to educate ourselves about equity and diversity
- Continuing to create an inclusive MTB community
Please email Kat with more resources to include.
Inclusivity has always been a core value for Sweetlines. Kat Sweet began her mission with hope to bring more females to the sport, which now extends to all genders. At the core of her mission is inclusivity; we strive to deliver inclusive and accessible camps for all. We are working towards a future where everyone, no matter their background, such as age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, feels they too can learn to ride mountain bikes and be part of our community. We are always trying to improve our practice so please share your expertise, feedback, and comments with us. For participants who may need accommodations, please give advanced notice to ensure that we can provide an optimal experience.