DIRT SHREDDERS CAMPS (6-9 yrs)
DUTHIE HILL PARK – ISSAQUAH, WA
DIRT SHREDDERS CAMPS
Five full days of fun awaits you at Sweetlines Dirt Shredders camp! At Duthie Hill professional coaches will lead groups on trail rides and teach beginner to advanced riding skills. The focus of the camp will be on mountain bikes, but options like group games, crafts, bike art, and free time to play in the woods will be available. Shredders will have plenty of opportunity to become a better rider, learn about bikes and the outdoors, make friends, and grow as individuals.
Dirt Shredders Schedule (varies daily):
- 9:30 to 10:00 – Arrive at Duthie Hill park and play games with coaches
- 10:00 to 10:20 – Ride into the park as a group
- 10:20 to 10:40 – Snack time (sponsored by Clif Bar)
- 10:40 to 12:00 – Separate into riding groups to learn skills and ride trails
- 12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch/pump track (After lunch activities vary by day)
- 1:00 to 2:50 – Trail Riding, skills, jump jam, games, or crafts
- 2:50 to 3:00 – Pack up camp
- 3:00 to 3:10 – End of the day rap up and reflection
- 3:10 to 3:30 – Ride to the parking lot as a group
- 3:30 – Pickup time
Kids will be placed into 3-4 groups based on ability level.
Shred Level 1: Beginner – Brand new to mountain biking.
Shred Level 2: Novice – Ridden mountain bike trails a few times. Trails: Honey Badger, Boot Camp.
Shred Level 3: Intermediate – Ridden mountain bike trails for a year or two. Trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, maybe Luna Jump Lines.
Shred Level 4: Intermediate-Advanced – Ridden mountain bike trails for 2+ years and are pretty confident on the bike / trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, plus Voodoo Child, Luna Jump Lines.
Shred Level 5: Advanced – Very confident rider and jumper / trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, plus Voodoo Child, maybe jumping Luna Lines, plus starting or completing Gravy Train and possibly starting Flying Squirrel.
Cost: $409 – 5 days
- June 8-12 – homeschoolers
- June 15-19 – Camp 1
- June 22-26 – Camp 2
- July 6-10 – Camp 3
- July 13-17 – Camp 4
- July 20-24 – Camp 5
- Aug 3-7 – Camp 6
- Aug 17-21 – Camp 7
- Aug 24-28 – Camp 8
Ages: 6-9 years (no one under 6 please, and must have been through kindergarten)
Location: Duthie Hill Park, Issaquah
Gender: All genders welcome
*Dirt shredders must be able to ride on two wheels confidently! Brand new bike riders should not be mountain biking yet. Brand new mountain bikers are welcome!
GEAR LIST & INFO
1. Mountain Bike
- In good working order
- Gears recommended
- Front Suspension recommended
- Hand brakes are mandatory (no coaster brakes, no backpedaling brakes)
- BMX or kids style bikes are ok
- No training wheels
- No kickstands (dangerous for riding trails)
- Norco bikes available to demo for $15 per day via Ride Bicycles Bike Shop
***Parents: Please do an A, B, C, Quick Check before camp starts!***
A = Air – 20+ PSI minimum
B = Brakes – be sure brakes work
C = Chain – Should be lubed at least 1x/week to prevent rusting
Quick = Quick Releases – snug
- Must have 2 hand brakes
- No coaster brakes (no backpedaling to stop)
- Must be a CPSC certified bike helmet
- Full-face helmet strongly recommended for Gravity Academy
4. Flat Pedals
- No clip in pedals
- Deity pedals available to borrow for older riders
- Closed-toed, flat soled shoes
- Five Ten or skate style work better than running shoes
- Five Ten shoes available to borrow for older riders
- Some knee and elbow pads available to borrow
First come, first serve basis
8. Hydration Pack / Water Bottle
- A hydration pack or water bottle is also recommended
- Electrolyte drink recommended too
- We will have a cooler of water to refill bottles
9. Lunch & Snacks
- Pack extra food and snacks!
- Staff will drive lunch packs into the park
- Please use a zippered or closeable bag so the crows and squirrels don't steal your kid's lunch!
- Clif Bars available
10. Other Items
- Bug Spray
11. Medical (as needed)
- EPI pen – must be carried by rider at all times
- Inhaler – must be carried by rider at all times
- All coaches are professionally trained
- All coaches are certified in First Aid and CPR
- All coaches are background checked
- Sweetlines has a “challenge by choice” policy
- Kat Sweet has been running kids bike programs since 2003
Inclusivity has always been a core value for Sweetlines. Kat Sweet began her mission with hope to bring more females to the sport, which now extends to all genders. At the core of her mission is inclusivity; we strive to deliver inclusive and accessible camps for all. We are working towards a future where everyone, no matter their background, such as age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, feels they too can learn to ride mountain bikes and be part of our community. We are always trying to improve our practice so please share your expertise, feedback, and comments with us. For participants who may need accommodations, please give advanced notice to ensure that we can provide an optimal experience.
As long as you cancel 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the program start date, you will be refunded the full amount minus a $25 processing fee. No refunds for canceling within a week of the program start date unless you have a doctor’s letter. Program happens rain or shine but we may cancel if there is thunder and lightning. Due to the fire hazards of the past couple summers, we are looking into what precautions we should take to ensure the health and safety of our campers.
"I wanted to say thank you for the great experience you put together at the Dirt Shredders Camp this week. Our son Hudson loved it and is more stoked then ever to go riding. It hasn't always been easy to get him excited to go ride and I think the combinations of the coaches and the other kids were really great for him." - Kyle and Bridget