DIRT SHREDDERS CLUB (EVENINGS) 6-9 yrs
DUTHIE HILL PARK – ISSAQUAH, WA
DIRT SHREDDERS CLUB (EVENINGS)
Shred-tacular bike fun awaits you at Sweetlines Dirt Shredders Club! At Duthie Hill professional coaches will lead groups on trail rides and teach beginner to intermediate riding skills. The focus will be on mountain bike skills and trail riding. Shredders will have plenty of opportunities to become a better rider, learn about bikes and the outdoors, make friends, and grow as individuals.
Format: skills, trail riding, games, and much more!
Beginner to Advanced, we will split into groups based on ability levels.
Shred Level 1: Beginner – Brand new to mountain biking.
Shred Level 2: Novice – Ridden mountain bike trails a few times. Trails: Honey Badger, Boot Camp.
Shred Level 3: Intermediate – Ridden mountain bike trails for a year or two. Trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, maybe Luna Jump Lines.
Shred Level 4: Intermediate-Advanced – Ridden mountain bike trails for 2+ years and are pretty confident on the bike / trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, plus Voodoo Child, Luna Jump Lines.
Shred Level 5: Advanced – Very confident rider and jumper / trails: Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane, plus Voodoo Child, maybe jumping Luna Lines, plus starting or completing Gravy Train and possibly starting Flying Squirrel.
- Session 1 – July 6, 8, 13, 15 (beginner to intermediate)
- Session 2 – July 20, 22, 27, 29 (intermediate to advanced)
- Session 3 – Aug 3, 5, 10, 12 (beginner to intermediate)
- Session 4 – Aug 17, 19, 24, 26 (intermediate to advanced)
Ages: 6-9 years
Location: Duthie Hill Park, Issaquah
Gender: All genders welcome
*Dirt shredders must be able to ride on two wheels confidently! Brand new bike riders should not be mountain biking yet. Brand new mountain bikers are welcome!
SHRED LEVEL 1: BEGINNER
Ride Years: 0 - ½ years of riding on dirt trails (1 year of bike riding)
Brand new to mountain biking but a solid bike rider, can stand up on their pedals
Duthie Trails: Honey Badger, Pump Track
SHRED LEVEL 2: NOVICE
Ride Years: ½-1 year of riding on dirt trails
Duthie Trails: Honey Badger, Lower Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Pump Track
SHRED LEVEL 3: INTERMEDIATE
Ride Years: 1-3 years
Duthie Trails: Lower and Full Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane (2Hi), Movin’ On, maybe Luna Jump Lines.
SHRED LEVEL 4: ADVANCED INTERMEDIATE
Ride Years: 2-4 years
Duthie Trails: Voodoo Child, Luna Jump Lines, Ryan’s Line
Tokul Trails: blue trails, DIY
Raging River Trails: Flow State
Summit Ridge Trails: Berminator, Roller Derby
SHRED LEVEL 5: ADVANCED
Black Diamond Trails
Ride Years: 3-5 years
Very confident rider and jumper
Duthie Trails: starting on or completing Gravy Train, top of Flying Squirrel, Semper Dirticus
Tokul Trails: Black trails, Tokyo Drift, Crazy Ivan, Midtown
Raging River Trails: Old 27 trails
Summit Ridge Trails: ATM Trail
SHRED LEVEL 6: EXPERT
Black and Double Black Diamond Trails
Ride Years: 4+ years
Duthie Trails: Squirrel, Double Trouble, Paramount
Tokul Trails: Black trails
Raging River Trails: Old 27 trails
GEAR LIST & INFO
1. Mountain Bike
- In good working order
- Gears recommended
- Front Suspension recommended
- Hand brakes are mandatory (no coaster brakes, no backpedaling brakes)
- BMX or kids style bikes are ok
- No training wheels
- No kickstands (dangerous for riding trails)
- Norco bikes available to demo for $15 per day via Ride Bicycles Bike Shop
***Parents: Please do an A, B, C, Quick Check before camp starts!***
A = Air – 20+ PSI minimum
B = Brakes – be sure brakes work
C = Chain – Should be lubed at least 1x/week to prevent rusting
Quick = Quick Releases – snug
- Must have 2 hand brakes
- No coaster brakes (no backpedaling to stop)
- Must be a CPSC certified bike helmet
- Full-face helmet strongly recommended for Gravity Academy
4. Flat Pedals
- No clip in pedals
- Deity pedals available to borrow for older riders
- Closed-toed, flat soled shoes
- Five Ten or skate style work better than running shoes
- Five Ten shoes available to borrow for older riders
- Some knee and elbow pads available to borrow
First come, first serve basis
8. Hydration Pack / Water Bottle
- A hydration pack or water bottle is also recommended
- Electrolyte drink recommended too
- We will have a cooler of water to refill bottles
9. Lunch & Snacks
- Pack extra food and snacks!
- Staff will drive lunch packs into the park
- Please use a zippered or closeable bag so the crows and squirrels don't steal your kid's lunch!
- Clif Bars available
10. Other Items
- Bug Spray
11. Medical (as needed)
- EPI pen – must be carried by rider at all times
- Inhaler – must be carried by rider at all times
- All coaches are professionally trained
- All coaches are certified in First Aid and CPR
- All coaches are background checked
- Sweetlines has a “challenge by choice” policy
- Kat Sweet has been running kids bike programs since 2003
Inclusivity has always been a core value for Sweetlines. Kat Sweet began her mission with hope to bring more females to the sport, which now extends to all genders. At the core of her mission is inclusivity; we strive to deliver inclusive and accessible camps for all. We are working towards a future where everyone, no matter their background, such as age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, feels they too can learn to ride mountain bikes and be part of our community. We are always trying to improve our practice so please share your expertise, feedback, and comments with us. For participants who may need accommodations, please give advanced notice to ensure that we can provide an optimal experience.
As long as you cancel 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the program start date, you will be refunded the full amount minus a $25 processing fee. No refunds for canceling within a week of the program start date unless you have a doctor’s letter. Program happens rain or shine but we may cancel if there is thunder and lightning. Due to the fire hazards of the past couple summers, we are looking into what precautions we should take to ensure the health and safety of our campers.
Tax Info: EIN - 82-1550878
"I wanted to say thank you for the great experience you put together at the Dirt Shredders Camp this week. Our son Hudson loved it and is more stoked then ever to go riding. It hasn't always been easy to get him excited to go ride and I think the combinations of the coaches and the other kids were really great for him." - Kyle and Bridget