SHRED SOCIETY (10-14 yrs)
DUTHIE HILL PARK – ISSAQUAH, WA
SHRED SOCIETY CAMP
In this social justice camp we will shred bikes, of course, but let’s also shred some social norms! Coaches and special guest speakers will guide campers to have conversation about society, social media, the messages we get about masculinity and femininity, race in the outdoors, and the labels we are given.
- How does this impact all of us?
- What can we do to make a better world for our youth?
- How can we better understand one another?
- How can we commit to being anti-racist?
Through mountain biking, we will create conversations that bring people together in this community of shred! Build empowered teens who are confident, respectful, and inclusive of all genders, race, ethnicity, national origin, range of abilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, and financial means.
Format: Tons of riding! We will play ice breaker games, practice skills with on-trail training. And each day will be a new Shed Society discussion topic, 1-2 hours of interactive social justice curriculum.
Trails will include: Deuces Wild, Jubilane (2Hi), Voodoo Child, Ryan’s Line.
Dates: July 19-23
Ages: 10-14 years
Gender: All kids welcome
*New Levels for 2021. Refer to guide below.*
RIDER LEVELS - NEW for 2021!
Our advanced levels are based on jumping and dropping since that’s what we tend to focus on at Duthie. We recognize that there are levels for trail riding, cross country, enduro and downhill which might or might not correspond with these jump levels. These are just guidelines to get the kids into roughly the right groups for their ability level. Adjustments can be made during camp.
LEVEL 1: BEGINNER
Green Circle Trails
Ride Years: 0 - ½ years of riding on dirt trails (1 year of bike riding)
Brand new to mountain biking but a solid bike rider, can stand up on their pedals
Duthie Trails: Honey Badger, Pump Track
LEVEL 2: NOVICE
Green Circle Trails
Ride Years: ½-1 year of riding on dirt trails
Duthie Trails: Honey Badger, Lower Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Pump Track
LEVEL 3: INTERMEDIATE
Blue Square Trails
Ride Years: 1-3 years
Duthie Trails: Lower and Full Boot Camp, Deuces Wild, Jubilane (2Hi), Movin’ On, maybe Luna Jump Lines. Might be rolling through Voodoo and going around all the features (like drops, wall ride and jumps)
LEVEL 4: ADVANCED INTERMEDIATE
Blue Square Trails
Ride Years: 2-4 years
Duthie Trails: rolling through Voodoo Child (should be hitting some of the features like the 1st drop, the wall ride, and the jumps), Luna Jump Lines - catching air comfortably, getting down Ryan’s Line and might be going around the features (drops, wooden edges)
NEW! LEVEL 5: ADVANCED
Blue Square and some Black Diamond Trails
Voodoo: hitting 2nd or 3rd drop at top, riding the wall ride, hitting the jumps but not clearing them yet
Ryan's Line: getting down without stopping and hitting some of the drops
Jubilane (2Hi): hitting the jumps but not always clearing them
HLC: hitting the two wood lip jumps
Clearing Drop Zone: can hit all the drops in the clearing
NEW! LEVEL 6: ADVANCED JUMPER
Black Diamond Trails
Voodoo: hitting all of the features (drops, jumps, wall ride)
Jubilane (2Hi): clearing all of the jumps
HLC: hitting the two middle jumps and the Happy Ending jump at the bottom
Gravy Train: starting to work on the top (First 3-6 jumps)
NEW! LEVEL 7: ADVANCED JUMPER
Black Diamond Trails
Ride Years: 3-5 years
Very confident rider and jumper
Duthie Trails: starting on or completing Gravy Train, top of Flying Squirrel, Semper Dirticus, HLC all of the line
NEW! LEVEL 8: EXPERT JUMPER
Black and Double Black Diamond Trails
Ride Years: 4+ years
Duthie Trails: Squirrel, Double Trouble, Paramount, GHY, able to hit most of the trails at Duthie
GEAR LIST & INFO
- Masks, neck gaiters or cloth face protection are mandatory
- They should be worn around the neck and pulled up when we stop riding
- In good working order
- Gears recommended
- Front Suspension recommended
- Hand brakes are mandatory (no coaster brakes, no backpedaling brakes)
- BMX or kids style bikes are ok
- No training wheels
- No kickstands (dangerous for riding trails)
- Norco demo bikes half off at Ride Bicycles
***PLEASE DO AN A, B, C, QUICK CHECK BEFORE CAMP STARTS!***
- A = AIR – 20+ PSI MINIMUM
- B = BRAKES – BE SURE BRAKES WORK
- C = CHAIN – SHOULD BE LUBED AT LEAST 1X/ WEEK TO PREVENT RUSTING
- QUICK = QUICK RELEASES – SNUG
- Must have 2 hand brakes
- No coaster brakes (no backpedaling to stop)
- Must be a CPSC certified bike helmet
- Full-face helmet strongly recommended for Gravity Academy
- No clip in pedals
- Closed-toed, flat soled shoes
- Five Ten or skate style work better than running shoes
- Knee and elbow pads are mandatory
- We will not me lending pads this year
- Full finger gloves are mandatory
HYDRATION PACK / WATER BOTTLE
- A hydration pack or water bottle is also recommended
- Electrolyte drink recommended too
LUNCH & SNACKS
- Pack extra food and snacks!
- Students must ride their own lunch packs into the park this year
- Please use a zippered or closeable bag so the crows and squirrels don't steal your lunch!
- Clif Bars available
- Bug Spray
Medical (as needed)
- EPI pen – must be carried by rider at all times
- Inhaler – must be carried by rider at all times
- All coaches are professionally trained
- All coaches are certified in First Aid and CPR
- All coaches are background checked
- Sweetlines has a “challenge by choice” policy
- Kat Sweet has been running kids bike programs since 2003
Inclusivity has always been a core value for Sweetlines. Kat Sweet began her mission with hope to bring more females to the sport, which now extends to all genders. At the core of her mission is inclusivity; we strive to deliver inclusive and accessible camps for all. We are working towards a future where everyone, no matter their background, such as age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, feels they too can learn to ride mountain bikes and be part of our community. We are always trying to improve our practice so please share your expertise, feedback, and comments with us. For participants who may need accommodations, please give advanced notice to ensure that we can provide an optimal experience.
As long as you cancel 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the program start date, you will be refunded the full amount minus a $25 processing fee. No refunds for canceling within a week of the program start date unless you have a doctor’s letter. Program happens rain or shine but we may cancel if there is thunder and lightning. Due to the fire hazards of the past couple summers, we are looking into what precautions we should take to ensure the health and safety of our campers.
Tax Info: EIN - 82-1550878
SWEETLINES EQUITY GRANT
SWEETLINES EQUITY GRANT APPLICATION
Sweetlines is providing grants for children from marginalized communities to help address racial gaps in our sport and community.
10 Equity Grants Awarded
10 Equity Grants will be awarded to students who are BIPOC interested in entering or furthering their skills in the mountain bike world.
View full details here:
Sweetlines Equity Grant Application
If you have been affected by Covid-19 or would like financial assistance to come to our programs for any other reason, please fill out this application and we will contact you to find out how we can help make that happen.
Please support the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance who make Duthie and all of our amazing PNW trails possible! Become a member if you haven’t already!